Thursday, October 27, 2016

Original Whaling Scene, Maine

Reproduction Whaling scene 
Curtis Island, Maine 




Today, I started a custom painting that will be what I like to call a story painting about Curtis Island, Maine.  


We are starting with this lovely large period frame.  I believe this dates to about 1820-30.  It's original and comes with all the little qualities that make it very desirable.  The finish has not really been touched.  It is about as original as it gets.  

My customer lives near this lighthouse.  This is Curtis Island (above).  I love the sailboat.  

Here's my drawing for the above frame! 


This is actually  on a small piece of paper that I proposed to my customer.  I call it a thumbnail sketch.  Actually, it's a bit larger than a thumbnail.  I am going to be painting a mini-painting at the same time.  


The composition will be very similar for the larger painting.  I will post pictures as I progress! 

Loving the red roof! 


Here's some more pictures that I found off the internet! 


I love the color! 

This painting will have lots of action!  There will be a large whale, ship, and some sailors.  I am even going to paint a little man at the lighthouse! 


Lastly, here's a closeup of the frame.   It's a beauty.  The picture doesn't do it justice!  This painting will be behind glass when it is finished.  

Watch for more posts.  Thanks for looking. 

Enjoy. 


2 comments:

Mugwump Woolies said...

How fun...to watch this masterpiece come to life before our eyes! Wonderful frame and the view isn't bad either. I'll be watching!
Robyn

Kolenespicher said...

Thanks, Robyn! I will be sending you a christmas card! Watch for it!