Wednesday, October 5, 2016

A whaling painting

The Whalers 

Kolene Spicher Original Whaling scene 

This painting is listed on a LIVE Facebook page today!  Take a look at this link: 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207623799532562&set=pcb.1225899067477315&type=3&theater


This morning I decided that I was going to alter an existing painting.  All week I have looked at it and it has just bugged me.  I decided that I didn't like my big red flag :(  Here is what it looked 
like as of 7 am this morning. 


...And here is what it looks like now!  

https://www.etsy.com/listing/483381337/kolene-spicher-original-whaling-scene?ref=shop_home_active_1

It is still referencing 'The Whalers' but it is less restrictive because...it just is.  I think the painting needs to be about whaling and actually HAVE whales in it.  That was what I didn't like.  So I painted a few in.  



Here it is shown next to my favorite ship scene that is located over my kitchen mantel.  You can sort of get a sense for the size, which is about 11x13.  


Here I show a few shots of the tips of the whales as they swim across and under the water.  As I have said I have said in previous posts, whalers needed good eyesight.  Have you ever gone on a whale watch and someone says, "There's one over there."  You think, over where.  You see nothing but water, exactly! 



Another shot in my famous seashell room.  I love this old black buffet which I inherited from my Great Aunt Nellie and painted black.  SHE would hate that I did this.  But doesn't it make my shells stand out and artwork pop? 



Finally, here's a good closeup.  Thanks for looking today.  

Enjoy. 




No comments: