Saturday, February 15, 2014

Bohemian?


Is it Bohemian? 
IN THE SPRINGTIME
(See updated post too on March 14, 2014)

Today I was messing around in my studio trying to work on some pictures that I am developing for Summer 2014.   As I looked out the window at all the snow falling, I couldn't help but think how beautiful it was outside.  I work out of a studio that is inside my home.  I don't have to travel in all this mess, so I am sure that there are many of you reading this that are NOT thrilled that it is snowing yet again here in the North East.  

After painting a while, I found myself thinking about the bottle/flower picture that I had started last week.  I was totally just playing around with these paintings (that is how I develop new work), so I was not going to let myself get upset if I messed them up.  I wanted it to have the old world charm but also that free creativeness that is sometimes found in Bohemian art.  

I am totally inspired by Antiques, as I mentioned in earlier posts, and so that always influences my style.  I antiqued this paper heavily--as I almost always do!  One artist I like from the late 19th century and early 20th century is Edith Holden.  She liked to paint wildlife and flowers.  She lived in an old English Countryside from a little town called Olton in Warwickshire.  She was an exceptionally talented artist and I love, LOVE, love her work.  I thought that it would be fun to do something for Spring, despite and in spite of the snow!! 



Here is a  closeup  of the  above  painting.    I think that this bee just 'makes' this.    I love the big  flower  head that  is painted purple, too.  I think that this painting works  for two reasons.

First, the colors are really vibrant, despite the fact that the paper is antiqued.  Secondly, The subject matter is interesting.   And thirdly, The way the light is hitting the bottles is unrealistic which makes it also sort of modern and edgy.  Your eye wants to travel and go over the entire painting.  This is something that an artist should want.  PLUS you can hang it in a number of rooms in your house.  It could seriously be hung in a bedroom, sitting room, living room, bathroom, or kitchen.  Heck, I would put it in my laundry room, too!

I was just wondering what style it is.  I would call it Bohe-
mian.  If someone out there knows for sure, I would welcome any comments that are constructive.  They don't
have to be always positive, either.  A person can learn from
all instruction.

I hope that you enjoy my artwork, as it is brought to you with much LOVE!  Check out the rest of my work at www.spicherandco.com.




-------------------------------------------------------------


UPDATE
February 26, 2014

Some time has passed since I posted Is it Bohemian in the Springtime.  I indicated to one of my customers that there would be additional pictures in this series.  While I don't have them complete in their entirety, I do have 4 additional ones to post.  



Now the question remains, should I antique the backgrounds or leave them as they are? 
In the first two, I distressed and aged them and then regretted it after I painted the first "clean" one in this latest 4.  Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

Enjoy!  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the antique feel of the bottles. That's the first thing that caught my eye. Becky

Kolenespicher said...

Hi Becky! Thanks so much! I am going to be adding to this series~there will be 9 in all! Thanks so much for commenting :) Kolene

Kolenespicher said...

Becky, if you get a chance look at today's post!