Saturday, July 2, 2016

VERY large scaled whale painted on a reclaimed wood type surface

He felt like a fish out of water! 
This poor guy was too big for the body of
water he found himself in! 
I love to paint big folky whales and this project was so much fun.  I purchased an old painting that happened to be on some  balsam wood.  Figuring that I could never buy the wood this inexpensively, I decided to purchase it.  Because of the fact that  light weight balsam wood was used, I could easily hang this over my dinner table with no fear of damaging the drywall or it falling on someone's head.  Plywood would have been too heavy.  
The finish on this piece turned out great with the alligator cracks, etc.  I had a time forcing the paint down into the slats, but in the end, I was pleased with my efforts. 


This gives you a good idea of the size and scale of this painting. I didn't measure it, but it is easily 5 feet wide and 2 feet wide.  


Here it is over my buffet.  LOOK at the scale. I thought about painting a ship in the background but then thought, nah, I always do that.  I like it simple! 


I decided that the edges need to be painted too.  This piece has sort of a bread board edge look to it.  I grained it to look like tiger maple, something that I LOVE. 


You can see that it needed the edges painted.  This piece would not be complete without the graining.  In the end, I decided that it needed to be hung over my dinner table! 



Thanks for looking!  
Enjoy your JULY4 holiday! 




SaveSave

No comments: