Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Final Post for The Loaves and the fishes 3-D Mermaid

The Frame
The first step to graining 
If you read any of my previous posts, you will recall that the frame for this project was to be grained.  This step was time consuming for me.  I don't grain every day.  I started off with a bright yellow buttercup color and then mixed a glaze and began the faux wood process.  

This was the final product of my efforts. 
I wanted the color to be very deep because the customer wanted it as dark as possible without losing the grain.  The grain is there!  You can see the subtle yellow shining thru the finish.  
...and They did eat and are all filled.  Luke 9:17  
I love a painting with a message.  For me that is what it is all about.  I am willing to labor over something to achieve a final goal that has some 'feel good power'.  As I have aged, I have become very interested in taking my time on things and doing them correctly.  While this painting took forever to finish, it was rewarding along the way.  
The tail will flip outward.  Once it is behind glass, I will not be able to demo this as effectively once behind glass, so I took lots of photos to show you now! 
Here are some additional photos.  

I like how my nail polish matches the water.  
The mermaid really stands out against the dark sea.  The color of the water was very important because the customer wanted it to enhance her  home decor furnishings.  
Look at the shadow on the Marlin! 

More shadows....


The Final Product! This measures in at 25"x36" OUTSIDE dimensions. That's one big mermaid! 
If you have the chance, go back and look at the steps that I wrote about concerning this painting on previous posts.  If you get the chance look up the Coast Guard Cutter ship portrait, too.  This was also a custom piece that I found really rewarding to paint.  I think the details shine when you take your time!  

ENJOY! 



No comments: