Thursday, December 31, 2015

Custom Boy Portrait - Part 1

Little Boy with Saint Bernard by the Sea 
Rough draft pencil drawing 
This was done very quickly to give you an idea about how I come up with my ideas.  I just need to figure out the composition before starting to draw.  I dislike any eraser marks. 
Very deep walnut frame with silver leafed liner 
I decided that I would use this nice silver leafed walnut frame.  It is in excellent condition and what I liked most about it was the fact that the liner was silver.  Normally, they are gold leafed.  No damage on this piece, either! 


Saint Bernard. 
I loved this dog.  He has such a sweet face.  Because I am illustrating a young boy for this painting, I couldn't have the dog leaning up onto him. 
The water is at the top and he's leaning on a log. 
These are big dogs and it wouldn't make sense.  We decided that there would also be a book in his hand.  In the end, I drew him laying at the little boy's feet on a log
This is a random drawing that I liked, found online, although I
am NOT doing a profile.  
Having the whole body in the painting helps to give you an idea of the scale of the pet. The example above clearly illustrates a smaller dog.   In the next picture, you can see the scale of my dog.  
I am going to be putting a ship in the background, too, just not drawn yet! 
Thanks for looking today, and I wish you a very Happy, safe New Year!!  Check back next week.  I will have more done then, and you will be able to see it in color!  It is going to be bright and happy. 

Enjoy!



 

No comments: