Monday, December 8, 2014

Vintage Santa Clause

A Work of Love

Each little package in his bag was hand painted
When I was a little girl, we had a busy household.  My mother worked very hard.  Being one of 6, there was a lot to do.  We seldom ate out.  There were countless loads of laundry and dishes, and there were a lot of errands and appointments to run.  Somehow, despite her load, each Christmas, Mom was able to find time to make cookies, hang wreaths, decorate trees, and make our  house look amazing for Christmas.  There were so many gifts at Christmas, too.  The "playroom" floor was covered with presents, some wrapped some unwrapped. Think about 6 kids times 10 gifts = a lot of stuff LOL.   It was like zoo in our house Christmas morning.  Dear old DAD who I still have with me, just would laugh.  He was so outnumbered in a family of all girls.  Some things don't change...  

Anyways,  MOM had a love for Christmas that crossed over into her decorating and collecting.  

This guy on the right looks like he is singing a solo! 

One of the things she LOVED to buy was Santa Clause items.  They had to be antique or at least look vintage.  It was with this in mind that I decided to make these ornaments. It was one of her Christmas gifts from me!  These little guys were a work of love.  It took me forever to make them.  To this day, when I get them out of this special box, I think of her.  I have quite a few of them, and I thought about putting one of them on Etsy.  I just miss her so much, I don't know if I can part with one of them.  Silly me. I might part with ONE for someone special. :)  

Each one came with their own custom tag.  They were made out of fabric and glitter and glue and clay. They measure about 7 inches tall~I am guessing. 
 I love this old guy.  His little crooked arms and legs and long beard speak to me of time and the course of life.  Santa represents giving.  Giving represents God.  I think of God at Christmas and the birth of Jesus.  He really is the reason CHRISTmas is celebrated.  BTW, I painted that little house, too.  Another one of my time consuming projects.  This, too, inspired by Mom and her many collections!

Merry Christmas!

Kolene Spicher 

No comments: