Saturday, February 22, 2014

Mirror, Mirror!

MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE WALL! 
WHOSE THE FAIREST MERMAID OF ALL?

 

…AND THE WHALE ANSWERED, "SURELY, IT IS I!" 

These mermaids are just plain fun to paint.  When I go out antiquing, I find myself saying, "This is a mermaid frame if I ever seen one."  

This particular painting has a little of everything going on--whale, mermaid, ship, water--along with a cute saying and a wonderful antique tramp-art frame.  These frames were many times made by people who had no place of their own to lay their head.  Although, this is sad, there was plenty of demand for art such as this.  Today it is highly collectible, too.   This framer was a craftsman and very talented.  He or she was more than likely itinerant and would carve and then assemble these lovely little things out of tobacco boxes in exchange for a night's rest or maybe a week.  

I have some from Germany that are stunning.  I think Mermaids are a good pick for one of these frames because you can't get more homeless than a mermaid! 
This closeup shows all the writing in this painting as well as the whale.  It's a playful competition here!  Her sweet little face reminds me of a Tommy Bahama model! Also notice the water in this piece.  Look at the movement and notice the choppiness of the shoreline and the larger waves.  The American flag flies proudly here! 
I am ready for spring.  This painting begs me to sail off into the Caribbean and invites you to imagine what would it be like to be a mermaid? 

Enjoy!
You can see more paintings and artwork by Kolene Spicher by going to www.spicherandco.com 


No comments: