Friday, December 7, 2012

Whaling School

A School of Whales



I don't know about all of you, but I have yet to go on a whale watch that ever looked like this.  Recently, while in Alaska, I went on my first whale watch.  Can you believe it?  Twenty plus years of painting whales and nautical scenes, and I have NEVER seen an actual sperm whale in person.  The whales in Alaska were different.  We couldn't get up and close...something about protecting the whales, as if they wouldn't swim out of the way.  I was disappointed.  

In my painting, I show a large grouping of them with the water very softly painted over each whale and just the tip of them exposed.  This was a long a narrow painting in an antique frame and it was shipped to Nantucket Country!  

Hope you all get to go on a whale watch where you can actually see the whales!  I fell asleep on mine, I am serious.