Tuesday, May 10, 2016

How to Paint a Wing Back Chair

Painting a fabric chair 
Painting a fabric chair can be a bit daunting if you have never attempted it.  I have to admit, the chair looked pretty awful and I was not in much of a hurry to fix it.  
Years ago, back when I first was married, my mother gave me this chair.  I left it sit in the sun, bad move.  When she passed away, I couldn't get myself to throw the chair out.  It really didn't have much value anymore due to my neglect in allowing it to sit in the sunshine. 

One day while on PINTEREST,  I noticed that someone was picturing a wingback fabric chair painted.  WHAT?  I had never heard of painting fabric.  I know, where have I been.  I can't recall what they used, but this is what I used. 

#AmyHoward paint, #Delta Textile medium
I thought I had recalled that they used equal parts of each.  So that is what I did.  I am happy to say it turned out beautifully.  

There were a few problematic areas with my chair, which caused a less than perfect finished product; however, it is so much improved over where I started, I am happy with the result.  

Right or wrong, I actually hot glued that cording back into place.  I was careful to only have glue on the backside of the cording so that the paint held.  This is worth mentioning because nothing sticks well to hot glue.  

I am not much of a seamstress, and there was no way on earth I could even think of sewing a slip cover; although, to sew was my husband's idea.  

No it had to be painted.  That's what I am good at.  

This was after one coat.  

After the first sanding, the roughness went away, the pattern did not.  With out putting a bunch of boring photos up, suffice it to say that it looked like a checkered pattern with white paint over it for about 4 coats.  I allowed the fabric to dry between coats and I sanded at least twice with fine sandpaper.  I didn't go crazy with the sandpaper because you don't want to eat into the fabric with your vigor. 


See the pattern, not desirable. 

After another day working at my chair, I ended up with this final product.  Note that I do not have the original cushion.  This is because the sun obliterated it.  

*One important detail, You will want to scrub the paint into the cording of your chair.  You want there to be a good seal around the cording.  

The legs on this wingback were originally oak, yuck.  I gave them a quick coat of high gloss paint and they look fab.  

The seat is an old antique grain bag stuffed with towels and folded into itself.  I actually have another idea for the seat but it will have to wait. 

Here's another angle. This chair really has some beautiful curves. 


There is an ever so slight checkered pattern that persists.  
I set the chair right back at the same window.  We will see if the checks continue to bleed thru.  Also, I am thinking that it will hold up better in the sun.  Can't promise that, though.  It may have to be moved.  My chair makes me think of my MOM, who is now in heaven.  I have to take care of it.  

Thanks for looking! 

Enjoy 





2 comments:

jerilanders said...

That is a great idea, I have one that needs a paint job; it has this dreadful PINK velvet backing I would like to hide. I am glad I found you Kolene, I knew you years ago from Bob Goodrich shows, I am the Jeri that did the Scherenschnitte,we used to talk quite a bit. My work has changed a lot, as I see yours has! Good to find you here.

Kolenespicher said...

I will be really interested to see how the velvet gets...I am not sure about painting velvet. I wonder if you could paint it on a small spot first and get an idea...Just a thought.
Nice to reconnect!

K