Thursday, October 1, 2015

Portrait of a young girl, auction item for Wilton Historical Society, November 2015

Nineteenth Century Portrait of a young girl 

Auction item benefiting the Wilton Historical Society 

American Artisan Show November 6-8, 2015



This is a painting that will be donated to the Wilton Historical Society.  Because I am participating in their annual American Artisan Show held November 6-8, 2015, I was asked to donate a piece for this exciting event. 

 Each year they host a private auction where you can bid on some amazing one of a kind pieces.  This year's Auction will benefit the Society's efforts to continue public awareness of the decorative arts as well as preserve their numerous properties and help maintain the beauty and integrity of New England architecture.  

If you are looking for something fun to do that is different, why not plan to attend this event?  They have wine, cheese, and catered food.  There will be 30 unique artists displaying their wares from all over the United States.  The Wilton Historical Society's American Artisan Show is its biggest fundraiser of the year, and you can be a part of it!  The preview show opens November 6 at 6 PM. 

The above painting is featured in a primitive period liner with antique wavy glass. 


This little girl is not identifiable.  She's just someone that I sort of made up and painted in the primitive style.  

I started the painting off by solidly painting the background BLUE.  I like to do this sometimes to quickly
build my paper and create a "tooth" by which the consecutive coats of paint will
nicely attach.  
As you can see, the background lacks interest.  Each step of painting leads to another.  Before long, you start to form some ideas that create the 'look' that you are striving to obtain.  My love of New England portraiture was created from various books, many of which were written by Nina Fletcher Little.


Watch what happens next as I begin to add details like the book and the clouds!



One of my favorite things to do when I finish a painting is to carry it around and photograph it with various items and in different lighting.



I thought that the frame being primitive was actually working with this piece.  The glass has a big swirl that is in the center that is not visible with the camera.  The glass is antique and wavy and wonderful.  

The frame is not perfect, but you don't really see the imperfections (except when you zoom in on it like I am doing!) 
Here's one final picture showing the painting in natural lighting!  I hope that you can see that it would be a nice addition to your collection of Reproduction Decorative Art!


Here is a picture of the promotional card from the Wilton Historical Society for the American Artisan Show! 



Here's the final copy of this piece.  I have written in the water, too (right side).  I decided that she was carrying a diary! 

"Westport" is written by the white church and "Her little book of Days" is written in the water.



There will be some other amazing artists in addition to myself.   Heidi Howard (who I happen to love) will be there with her amazing one of a kind pieces.  They present as trade signs from the 19th Century and create a look that transitions well into both reproduction and modern settings.  

Heidi Howard 
Also at the event is Deluca Windsor Furniture.  His work looks fantastic in any home setting but shines in that reproduction home that wants to look 'historically correct.'  I love his finishes, too! 

Deluca! 
Molly Grant!  Wow, I cannot wait to see with her handmade shoes.  I have never seen her work in person, but this is one gal that I cannot wait to meet and look at all of her beautiful handmade shoes.  

Molly Grant
There are other amazing artists there too--In fact, too many to mention.  But suffice it to say that I love the carvings of Jack Johnson of Three Point Design out of Virginia as well as the Vaillancourt Folkart santas, Helen Howard paintings, Judith Brink's fractures, Andersen and Stauffer's fine furniture, to name just a few! 

Thanks again for looking at my painting! 



Enjoy! 








No comments: