Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Hand Building Pottery Class


Twine Holders and Butter dishes! 


Scissors from Dollar General 
I use a bunch of string.  It just seems to come in handy.  I tie a bag shut, a wrap a gift, I stake some tomatoes, a bundle some boxes…the list goes on.  One thing that is always frustrating, however,  is that the string inevitably would fall apart and unravel from it's nice form. After all, I always store it in the junk drawer!  I needed a good way to store it.  This was my solution.  I have never seen anything quite like it, either.  I made a pile of them and gave them for gifts.  Everyone loved them.  

This is the part of the dish that will store the water. The tall cylinder
in the background is another chicken roaster, which makes
a very delicious chicken! 

These pictures show the butter dish in an unfinished state.   There are many steps in making pottery.  After the item is made, it needs to be left to dry.  I then sand it, bisque fire it, glaze it, and pop it back into the oven!   

The smaller dish in the background will fit inside the bigger dish in the forefront. 
 I decided to have some
fun and carve it like a tree.  

This is the dish that the butter will be stored. 
The dish that will hold the butter is actually the top part where the lid is attached.   Water is poured into the bottom section to keep the butter fresh.  The idea is that the butter will maintain its spreadable consistency because it is stored at room temperature but will remain fresh because of the water that prevents air from oxidizing the butter.  


The clay is still very wet.  I will post some pictures when it is finished.  
Thanks for looking! 

Merry Christmas! 

No comments: