Thursday, October 19, 2017

Sailboat portrait by Pennsylvania Artist Kolene Spicher

My Happy Place 

A portrait of a 19th century Schooner

Inspired by my antique Diorama  


Water that is full of color and light 
Anyone who knows me knows that I love the water.  It makes me happy EVERY TIME.  I love to paint water and sky and boats--anything nautical!! Ahoy!

The Antique Diorama 
About 5 years ago, I purchased this very cool Diorama.  It was actually made by an elderly gentleman from the Baltimore, MD area back in the late 19th century, early 20th.  I loved it.  Everyday, I look at this and think, "Wouldn't that be a smart looking ship painting!"  So here we are, fast forward five years, and it is finished.  Hey, it could've taken 10 years.

On my beautiful mantle and look at that Spicher Vintage Vinyl on the floor! 

The schooner is painted smaller than the frame could accept but I actually liked it the way it was and decided to frame it in a way that accented the beautiful sky and fluffy clouds.  The frame compliments the period in that it is grained.  The finish on the frame is smooth and the gold liner is still intact.  I love it.  
Before the American Flag 
I was going to leave it without the American flag (pictured above)  but like the other nautical pieces that I have painted, I just couldn't stand to not identify what country this came from.  The flag tells the viewer the origin and that is important.

The sky and the water were brightened up some in this picture 
It's hard to know when to stop and so like many of my pieces, I will wait to actually frame it and place it behind glass.  I am forever changing 'finished' stuff.  The number of paintings I paid to have put together only to later tear apart is more than I care to share.

I love the light in the water 

My Happy Place 
Thanks for looking at this and other pieces that I have completed.  I only do one show a year anymore, the rest of my work is wholesale and painted specifically for Spicher and Co.

This and others will be taken to the Wilton Historical Society Show in New England on
November 3-5, 2017.

Check the show out here!



Enjoy! 













No comments: