Monday, February 2, 2015

Hudson River Valley Moonlight Painting - Laguna Bay

Laguna Bay by Moonlight


Water reflects sky.  When the sky is dark, the water is black.   That is why we need the moon.  Genesis 1:17 says,  "And God set them (the moon and stars)  in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth."

In my painting, the blues in the water and the sky were enhanced; but at certain times of the evening, I am sure the blues of the sky and the water can be perceived.  It's getting that timing correct and having the moon not shrouded in clouds helps MUCH! 
I would classify this as nostalgic feeling.


This painting was inspired by a smaller version that I painted a while back.  You can find it by searching for Hudson River Moonlight paintings on my blog.  


I have recently started LOVING busy gold leafed frames.  I find them to be beautiful and a wonderful contrast to my dark grey walls.  

A few years ago, I visited Laguna Beach, California.  I was inspired by its beauty.  The water was so inviting.  You would never realize how frigid cold it was by just looking at it.  I am from the east coast, and we get some warm ocean temperatures come July. Cold or not, the place was gorgeous and we stayed right on the bluff.
  
Smaller version 

This was the inspiration piece.  The only change that I made was to make the water more blue.  I am still trying to decide if I like it that way…hmm. I think I do! 

Beautiful Gold leafed frame (that has lost most of its leafing :())

As you can clearly see, the grays in the water are lighter and warmer in tone.  I would love your feedback. 


All my artwork is for sale, obviously.  If you see something that you like, let me know.  Anything that doesn't sell gets carefully wrapped and put away for a show in September 2015! 

Enjoy! 


No comments: