Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Winter Scene for Nantucket Country

The Winter Solstice 

MOONLIGHT Over New Fallen Snow

It was a moonlit night and the air was cold and thin.   The evening was alive with the sounds of children playing in the new fallen snow.  Some of the kids were on the pond skating and laughing in the moonlight, as if they hadn't a care in the world...  The day was over before it even began or so it seemed, for it was the winter solstice.  The shortest day of the year!  It had come and now was quickly going as the moments ticked by and this painter quickly captured the moment.  If only I could paint the smell of the pine and the freshness that is felt in the air.  If only I could catch on paper the sounds of joy and innocence as the children played.  The air felt slightly damp but fresh,  it was almost as if the snow had cleaned the sky.  The night was as clear as I have ever remembered.  The air was so crisp with cold that this painter almost went inside.  These were the good years when people were entertained by what was free.  These are my memories but only much romanticized.
Blurry but sweet.
I really loved this painting.  One of my favorite childhood things to do beside playing dolls was playing outside in the snow.  I loved playing in the leaves, too (and the mud-lol).  I wish this picture was clearer but I broke one of my own rules, I shipped it to a customer without taking good pictures.

I suppose there is a scan somewhere at Spicher and Co., but who wants to wait for that?!!

I love the moon peaking thru the trees.  Painting moons is a new thing for me to do.  I don't know why, but all of the sudden I am interested in the moon.  I think I put a moon in about a half a dozen paintings this last year.  I am going to see if I can find them to show you.
Another BLURRY picture 
Part of what makes this painting sweet are the little people that are busy doing what they are doing.  We have the skaters, the snowman makers, and the worker.  There is always a worker.  I often include a laborer in each of my paintings, maybe because that is what we Spichers do best…work.

I hope you enjoy seeing a glimpse of this painting and hearing about what I was thinking as I painted it.  

This was just shipped to Nantucket Country, Nantucket MA.  I feel certain that she has it in her store and on her website if you are interested in buying it.  Just google NANTUCKET COUNTRY.   I have this painting featured in a 1880s deep walnut frame with a gold liner.  It is painted on paper and behind glass.  It is a one-of-a-kind original done with love!

ENJOY! 


No comments: