Monday, December 19, 2016

Jonah's Whale

Jonah's Great Fish Story 

according to the Bible 

13 1/4" x 36" 
A painting on aboard 
A few years ago, I purchased an old board that someone years ago had painted a fanciful edge on.  I just loved it.  I wasn't crazy about what was in the center, however, so I decided to paint my own 'thing' on it instead.  

This is the story of Jonah of the Bible.  Oh how he hated the people of Nineveh, but God didn't feel that way.  He loved these people despite their oblivion to Him and their rebellion.  

So Jonah foolishly flees to a town far away from where God told him to go, it was the town of Tarshish. 


Oh how the boat was affected by Jonah's presence.  For God caused a great storm to come upon the vessel, surely they all were going to die while Jonah slept away at the bottom of the boat, oblivious to the dire situation that he had placed his companions in.  

There was only one solution, Jonah had to go.  "Pick me up and throw me into the sea," Jonah said.   

And God caused the great fish to swallow Jonah up, saving his life.  Three days Jonah lived in despair inside the heart of the big fish.  Finally, broken and in despair, Jonah cried out to the Lord in prayer.  
God heard the prayer and caused the big fish to throw him up.  
What goes in must surely come out!  Now Jonah was thinking correctly, he had to go to these people and tell them the good news that God loved them and wanted to bless them if they turned from their wicked ways. 
And the people believed and trusted in the Lord that day. 

Don't you love that folky border?  I know that I do.  I love the fun way I depicted this story along with the truth that this board holds.  It is simply this, God loves people that we do not.  Just because our eyes are blinded does not mean that God turns his back on us or the people that we are blinded into not caring for.  
Even the edge on this board was painted; although, not by me, it definitely is something that I would have done! 

The back has a simple wire on it.  I am going to be listing this on Etsy.  I was not going to do it in any hurry, though, so if you want this for Christmas, let me know, because I can definitely ship it out and have it to your home (in the USA) in time for Christmas! 

Enjoy. 






No comments: