Thursday, November 3, 2016

Original Whaling Scene, Maine, Post 3

The Whale from Curtis Light 



Thanks for looking at this blog entry.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions or if you are interested in your water scene being illustrated! 



This post is going to represent several days worth of work.  I think it's better than dragging it out.  

The color is starting to be added a little at a time. 
I like to paint around things instead of painting from the back of the painting to the front.  I feel that the image pops more using that method.


In this picture, you can see how the grass has a warmer feel.  
After the painting was about finished, I added the script.  Often times, I write little sayings in the grass or sky or water.  This painting was no exception.

The colors are not correct in this picture, however, look at the guy falling off the ship into the water! 
In the original painting (where you will see below),  the colors are not as 'antiqued' and the water is not as red/blue.  However, I wanted to show you the writing in the water.  In case you cannot read my writing, it says THE WHALE FROM CURTIS LIGHT.

WRITING HERE READS,
SHE GUARDS PENOBSCOT BAY 
I love the little guy up on the tower.  I read that this light can be seen for 6 nautical miles.  I think that is very cool.

On this page you can clearly see the folky bricks as well as my signature.  
The red really pops on this painting.  I like it.  The customer may want it toned down.  We shall see!

The colors are about correct in this shot

I always like to show what I am working on along side one that I have laying around.  I do this so that you can clearly see how this painting will blend with any piece of my original artwork that you might own.  I really enjoyed painting this one!  I think you can tell! 

Here is the painting in its entirety BEFORE antiqued...  

The question for me is this.  Should I antique this more? 


I welcome input! 

So ***today, November 4, 2016, I decided that the sky was too washed out.  I brightened it up a bit.  That doesn't mean that I won't go back and tone it down some, but here are a few changes. 

See the difference?  It makes the lighthouse stand out instead of blend in! 

Again, the ship stands out from the sky being darkened in the background 

I think this is done... 


Enjoy :) 

















No comments: