Friday, May 20, 2016

Skipjack sailboat in an Antique round medal frame

Vintage looking Skipjack painting

This surface was actually an old cellulite photograph that was a 'permanent' part of
the vintage/antique frame 
When I purchased this little frame (about 7" round), I thought the the photograph was behind a plastic looking glass.  The lady was rather unattractive, to be honest, and I was going to pitch her.  Alas, I brought it home and she was there to stay.  I painted over her preciousness and now have a skipjack sailboat.  It was that easy. 



The back of the frame is very old looking.  It is just part of the charm of this little piece.  You can see at the bottom of the above picture where the string is attached that this frame could also be hung on a wall.  I have included an example of this below.  


The frame, itself, is quite beautiful and the condition is really good.  I immediately fell in love with it and decided that it must have a piece of art in it instead of Fuddy Duddy.  



I took a few snapshots of the progression of this piece.  To include every step of the process would be too much.  The sky and the water progressed for a while, adding color upon color, until I satisfied with the final product. 


Quick History:  The 'skipjack' is a unique type of commercial wooden sailing vessel that was used to dredge oysters from the Chesapeake Bay.  These boats could go into shallow water and date back to the 1800's. 


Here it is hanging on my wall in my living room.  I have an area of round mirrors and I removed one of them to hang this; although, I prefer it sitting on a desk or table.  

The final product 
The final steps simply included varnishing it and lightening the water just a tad.  Thanks for looking today to read about my Skipjack sailboat.  

ENJOY

No comments: