Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Hudson River Moonlight Landscape

Moonlight Over Many Waters 

A Moonlight Landscape - Hudson River Style 
By Kolene Spicher 

Although this was painted this week, It looks like it could have been done in the 1860's 
My latest 'thing' that I am enjoying painting is landscapes that are blurry and romantic.  They put me in mind of the Old Hudson River School which was popular in the mid-19th century.  American painters 
involved in this landscape movement were influenced by romanticism.  The paintings for which this movement were depicted are what we know today as the Hudson River Valley.  This would include the Catskill, Adirondack, and the White Mountain regions.  It would later 
encompass New England and  Maritime artwork as well.  


This is a small painting.  It almost measures 7 1/2"x 9".  The frame has a lovely feel to it and is made out of Mahogany.  It is an antique.  The inspiration, although Hudson River School, actually was painted after Laguna Bay, a place that I visited about 12 years ago.  I loved the way it looked by moonlight.  


The sky has a nice glow to it and I am pleased with how it has turned out.  This will be one of many that I will do, as I love this new look.  It always makes me excited when I can develop 
something different! 

The next step for me is to paint a larger version of the same.  
**UPDATE - I painted the larger version, check out February 2, 2015 entry. 

Enjoy. 
  

No comments: