Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Chicken Roaster Thing - Hand building Pottery

My Chicken Roaster 


A while back, I posted some pictures of some of my hand-built pottery.  This was a piece that finished 'less than perfect.'  I thought I'd bring it home, anyways, and try it out.  

If it turns out that it bakes a decent chicken, I will toss this one and make another one that isn't messed up (there is a crack that you can't see).  

Here are my steps that I took to prepare and make the chicken.  I know, this isn't a cooking blog, but it is an "Art" blog, and I consider cooking an art.  

This was the smallest chicken that I could find at the store that wasn't 'cornish.'
 
I cleaned the inside of the chicken out really well and patted it dry.  I then salted the thing like there's no tomorrow.  My experience is that most of the salt cooks or runs off.  If you don't season well at the beginning, it isn't as good.  


I then took fresh rosemary and thyme and stuffed it down INTO the piece of pottery along with some hot water and vinegar and garlic.  
I shoved a half a lemon into the rear end of this bird…interesting. 

I also put some rosemary into the pan to flavor any juices that are created in the baking process.  I lifted the skin away from the bird to stuff Rosemary and thyme under the skin.  I shoved some garlic down into the bird. 

Because the bird sitting on the pottery piece sits much higher than normal, I had to adjust my baking racks inside the oven.  I removed all but the lower rack, and turned on my circulating fan and adjusted the temperature to 375 degrees F.  I plan on leaving it in the oven until it's done (there's a little thing that pops out.)  **Also, I EVOO the outside of the chicken and put some misc. spices on the outside of the bird--including, salt, pepper, garlic, and Trader Joes Lemon Pepper!! It's in a self-grinding container.  

Also, I added some potatoes and carrots and onions into the red baking dish.  They will get crispy and delicious.  Some of the vegetables will not be consumed in their whole form, as I plan to put them into a blender with the drippings to make some sort of gravy when the chicken is finished.  

BACK SIDE


It will be interesting to see how this turns out.  The bird looks huge on this pottery stand…  My teacher will be pleased to know that I tried it! 

Enjoy! 
Merry Christmas! 

Kolene Spicher 





No comments: