Friday, May 30, 2014

A Painting of a Little Girl


Mixed Centuries 

***This post was updated - Don't forget to check my KOLENESPICHER Etsy Page.

I feel like this painting is a little bit of the 1700s and 1800s combined.  The frame, too, some would say isn't completely correct.  I like the way it looks, however, together.  I think because it is a painting from 2014, it is okay to meld things together a little bit.  That is my humble opinion.  

The Lion sort of reminds me of Edwards Hicks who painted in the early 1800's 
Well, the lion reminds me of the 1830s and the hat reminds me of the 1890s and the frame reminds me of the turn of the century.

Edward Hick's most famous painting was called THE PEACEABLE KINGDOM! I was thinking of this when I painted the lion beside the lamb.  I just like the idea of peace.  I wish that our world was more at peace.  This picture represents peace.  The bird is not afraid of the human, the human is not afraid of the Lion, and the lamb is not intimidated by any of them.  Everyone is safe.  That is the way it should be!

LOVE the big hat with white flower 
I spent the most time on her face.  I wanted the face to be very sweet.  I think she's cute!


The Lamb and Lion are both painted in my primitive style - really the whole painting is painted that way.
  The finish that is on this painting is a wax encaustic finish so it has a very nice hand-rubbed look to it.  If you look closely you can see the glare of the finish. 

One thing about this painting that is not obvious is that I painted OVER another painting that I had completed around 1993 or 94.  I disliked the child, who was a boy, and I turned him into a little girl.  Don't get all weird about it, I kept the lion a lion.  Everything else about the painting was changed, including the finish~which is now encaustic.  I love the finish.

Large as life!! 

As usual, when I paint something new, one of the first things I say to myself is rather I want to keep it or sell it.  I hang it around different places in my house that are suitable for the size and color and then decide if another painting of mine gets bumped (and probably changed).  My husband thinks that I waste my time changing things.  "Paint something new," he will say.  Maybe you agree or don't care.  The thing is that I want to change it.  If I want to, I do.  There's something to be learned about each painting and the mistakes that are made and also the good choices that create the final painting's success.  The painting below (for now) has taken the place of another.  I really like how this painting compliments the gold round frame (compliments of Bombay Company 2004).  

Look at  how it picks up the books

I LOVE THE BOOKS and the painting together
That door to the left is the entrance to my studio, which is always a mess.  I keep the door closed because it is a fly in the perfume.


I thought this looked so neat on this stripped rug.  If you have a stripped wallpapered room this painting would look fantastic.  I have not decided if I will sell this now or wait till my show in September.  Don't forget to check out my Etsy sight.  It's under KOLENESPICHER.

Just for fun, I thought it would be nice to include an Edward Hick's painting. This is a small portion of one of his paintings.  He was a minister, born in 1789 (I think).  I should be looking this up.  I think that he did the Peaceable Kingdom series around 1830.
Not to be mean, but I don't like the face on this boy.  
I happen to have very honest teenaged children that will look at my paintings and tell me when they are ugly.  This does happen and did happen with the painting that was painted OVER...

Thanks for looking today!  I really appreciate your time! 

Enjoy! 




No comments: