Friday, March 7, 2014

Kitchen Cactus

Succulents and Cactus 

Illustrations for your kitchen 

Part 1 


In yesterday's post, I spoke about painting cactus!  Well, I meant to say succulents, too.  I do not have any of these beautiful plants, but for some reason this year, I am very much interested in them.  So as I said, I usually end up painting what I am interested in.  I wanted the colors on these to be bright and refreshing.  I want them to be able to hang in a kitchen. 
I can see these hanging vertical or horizontal
I am all about composition.  I want things to "flow" and so composition needs to be a factor of consideration. It always matters to me!  I had a few of these illustrations that I had to pitch because of composition.  Composition can be contrived of or explained as "the way something is placed or drawn or painted on paper."  That is Kolene's definition, but it can also include color.  You can have drawings that go together because the color composition works.  However, sometimes you have  'an odd ball' image.  Pitch it, don't fix it! That's what Mark says!


I love the color of the pot in this cactus 
When painting these and researching them, I was amazed at how many colors and varieties there are to choose from in a greenhouse.  Pinks and purples, Limes and blues, Yellows and oranges--feels like hundreds of options to me!  Succulents seem custom-made for indoor gardening.  These handy plants can thrive for very long periods of time in poor conditions, such as no water.  But given proper care, succulents are some of the most beautiful plants in the world.  They are worthy of being illustrated!!


I am not very lucky with plants.  This has always bothered me; especially, because I try.  I just seem to kill them.  That is because they need attention!  And guess what, I am busy painting and caring for my kiddos.  I am convinced that I shall not kill a cactus!! 


I love the pointillism in these little pots.  I don't know if that's spelled correctly! 


So there you have it!  Hang them in your bathroom if you don't like the kitchen.  Or maybe you want to place them in your study.  Maybe you like the study of plants.  Please look for these guys in High Point at the furniture market.  I am not sure yet what kind of background they will be on, however, I do like the cleanness of the white!  We are in the C & D building (Commerce and Design) in High Point, NC at the Furniture market!  The show is in April 2014.   

There will be three (3) more added to this series.  I will post when finished!  

Enjoy! 



No comments: