Saturday, March 1, 2014

Seashell Canvas Rolls - by Kolene Spicher


 

My seashell canvas rolls 
Decorative canvasses for an area of your home that you want artwork but don't have the clearances necessary to accommodate a frame.  

 
I don't know about you, but I have some areas, like hallways that get a lot of traffic, that I want to hang a painting but simply cannot due to lack of clearance.  Because of this, I had the idea to put some of my artwork on rolls. The canvas is lightweight and except for the wooden supports at either end, it is entirely canvas.  

Look at this picture and how flexible the canvas actually is on my artwork. 

I have two that you can choose from (currently). I hate to say this again, but I really love the ocean.  I always have.  When I was a little girl, my MOM took me to Wildwood Crest, NJ every summer.  My absolute favorite thing to do was get up early and collect shells.  I don't know what happened to all the beautiful shells along the jersey Shoreline, but I never find conch shells any more.  Believe me, we did when I was a child.  I grew up in the 70s.  We would climb into an old blue station wagon and head to the Jersey Shore with my Great Aunts--Nellie and Giddy.  What names.  Nana would come, too, that was my Mom's mom and the sister to Giddy and Nellie.  They were so sweet but strict.  I was one of six girls and with my mom that would make nine of us.  That's a lot of estrogen!  

Anyways, we would collect the shells and then keep them in clear containers like this!
Now, you are understanding where I have found all my wonderful reference material for these canvas wall hangings.  Here are a few more shots:

Now this melon shell (and that is it's name, BTW) was found over the internet.  I think you can find these off the shore of the Bahamas but there are strict laws in place that would prohibit you from carrying them home on a plane.  
These starfishes were bought in a little museum shop in Ocean City, NJ somewhere near 27th Street.  If you ever get to OC check it out.  It's called the Shell Museum.  
Here is the second canvas!  Check out the sand dollar.  I love the conch shell.  It's just interesting.  
The backs of these canvasses are completely white!  They are really well made.  You can buy them, if you want, thru www.spicherandco.com.  Thanks for taking your time to read about my shell canvas art.  One last thing, I used watercolor technique to achieve this look.  I really strive to bring something different.  Next time you are walking along the beach, take a look at your feet, watch for all the unique treasures that the sea affords.  It's a little bit of God, something that man has not been able to duplicate!  

Enjoy!  



No comments: