Saturday, February 22, 2014

19th century child reproduction portrait by Kolene Spicher CHILD IN RED



This small child was painted a few years ago.  Tonight I was going thru some of my photos  and stumbled across this picture of one of my paintings.  I remember the day I sold this many years ago.  It was a beautiful spring day in Yorktown, Virginia at the Nancy Thomas Gallary.  The tulips were in bloom, the sun was shining, bees and birds flying around, and it couldn't have been more pleasant!  

This is one of my favorite places and is near Williamsburg, Va. The Gallery was then run by very nice man (who I consider a friend and his name is Tom).  Tom bought this painting.  I would be so happy if I could show to you the house that this painting now hangs in--for it is amazing.  This picture is not the best quality but it does show the diversity in which I like to paint.  The room setting of this pose takes place in a dining area.  Unfortunately, this part of the photo was cut off. The colors are more serious and the tone and the feel would allow this to hang in a more dressy and decorated home.  I have painted many portraits over the years, and there is something about a child.  Children always seem to sell for me.  This was painted on canvas and is featured in an antique frame.  I will post more pictures of this painting if by chance I come up with additional copies.  

I would interpret this child as being a male.  Back then in the middle 19th century, children's genders were revealed by where the part of their hair fell.  If the part of the hair was in the middle, many times it was a girl.  If the part fell to the side, it was a male.  This one definitely falls to the side, leading me to believe it is a male child.  Also, if the child was holding on to a toy and it was, say, a boat, then it would point to the child being a boy.  If it was a doll, then it was a girl. The clothing also sometimes would be an indication, but this is not a hard a fast rule, because both male and female children were featured in dresses.  

Enjoy! 

No comments: